birding-aus

Bird calls in MP3 format?

To: birding-aus posts <>
Subject: Bird calls in MP3 format?
From: David McDonald <>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 10:02:58 +1000
The msg from Greg Pasquariello, below, comes from BirdChat. I wonder how
big a job it would be to get the BOCA library of calls, and/or that of
the Aust National Wildlife Collection, into MP3 format and make them
available for downloading? I note that the ANWC now has the Ray Swaby
Collection, '600 hours of distilled recordings and ... the most complete
collection of Australian bird voices in the world', on CD-ROM which
means that the calls are already digitised.

Considering our recent chat about the hurdles faced by print
publications like the wonderful Australian Birding magazine, maybe an
Australian birdcalls in MP3 web site, with a pay-as-you-download
facility, would be financially viable. I'd use it! Any entrepreneurs out
there interested?
David