birding-aus

Ashmore Reef, WA Pelagic Trip Report (long)

Subject: Ashmore Reef, WA Pelagic Trip Report (long)
From: Tony Palliser <>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 22:20:27 +1000
ASHMORE REEF, WA PELAGIC TRIP REPORT
October 2000

This report details the results of an 8 day pelagic to Ashmore Reef NW
Australia between the 12th & 18th October 2000 following the success of
trips to this region in 1996 and 1999.  I have detailed the events of
each day in summary format to consolidate the sightings. Precise locations
/ Grid references and hourly counts are available for anyone that needs
them.   Because some of the birds seen involve major rarities including one
species new for Australia submissions to the Birds Australia rarities
committee are necessary and we therefore ask that this material not be used
in any publication without consultation at this point in time.

Those on board:  David Andrew, Mike Carter, Michael & Penny Hunter, David
James, Peter Lansley, Rohan Clarke, Roger McGovern, Tony Palliser, George
Swann and Jo Wieneke,

Day 1..... 12th October 2000

Departed Broome aboard the 'Jodi Anne II' at 9.00am and headed NW towards
the Lacepede Islands en route to Scott Reef.  Conditions were, fine and
warm with a sea breeze from the SW around 15 knots, seas slight.
Highlights included 11 Streaked Shearwaters and our first distant views of
a possible Leach's Storm Petrel.  Interestingly Wilson's Storm Petrel were
reported well inshore in depths between 20-50m (as they were on previous
trips) with at least 9 birds seen - one only a mile from shore. 2000+
Roseate Terns was particularly impressive. Roger managed to catch a Spanish
Mackerel for dinner. 2 Hump-backed Whales were also seen.

Streaked Shearwater  (11)
Wilson's Storm Petrel  (10+)
Leach's Storm Petrel?  (1 possible) location 17.20 / 121.37
Brown Booby  (220+)
Great Cormorant  (3 near the Jetty)
Lesser Frigatebird  (1)
Silver Gull  (12 close in shore)
Lesser Crested Tern  (6)
Crested Tern  (1)
Roseate Tern  (2000+)
Common Tern  (40+)
Little Tern  (8)
Bridled Tern  (5)
Whiskered Tern  (2)
White-winged Black Tern (3)
Common Noddy  (7)

Day 2..... 13th October 2000

After sailing all night we awoke well out to sea, the position at 0600hrs
being 15.43 / 121.34.  We continued sailing all day towards Scott Reef
arriving after dusk at approximately 1940hrs. Again throughout the day
conditions were again calm and pleasant.  The real excitement of the day
was the sighting of several groups of Swinhoe's Storm Petrel involving 24
birds one or two of which gave good views.  Until 1999 this species was
unknown in Australian seas, so you can imagine the delight. The night was
spent safely anchored in the sheltered waters of the reef.

Tahiti Petrel  (5)
BULWER'S PETREL  (26) *** (first sighted at 15.28.0 / 121.19.0)
Wedge-tailed Shearwater  (2)
Wilson's Storm Petrel  (2)
MATSUDAIRA'S STORM PETREL  (2) *** (Location 14.58.8 / 121.26.5)
SWINHOE'S STORM PETREL  (24) *** (Location 15.31.9 / 121.26.7)
Masked Booby  (1)
Brown Booby  (12)
Lesser Frigatebird  (3)
Lesser Crested Tern  (1)
Bridled Tern  (6)

Day 3..... 14th October 2000

Awoke at the reef, time for hearty breakfast and a quick foray ashore on
the sandy cay before once again heading out to sea.  Today the seas were
calm and the wind continuing to drop throughout the day. After leaving
Scott Reef the seas were noticeable quiet with additional sightings of
Bulwer's Petrel and a distant White-tailed Tropicbird being the highlight
although the large numbers of performing Spotted dolphin was a
sight never to be forgotten.

Species on Scott Reef

Brown Booby  (10)
Little Black Cormorant  (1 dead)
Crested Tern  (150+)
Common Tern  (3)
Common Noddy  (10)
Eastern Reef Egret  (3)
Grey-tailed Tattler  (2)
Ruddy Turnstone  (120)

Species at Sea

BULWER'S PETREL  (9) *** (14.03.6 / 121.46.6)
Wedge-tailed Shearwater  (4)
Jouanin's Petrel?  (1 possible sighting) (13.42.1 / 121.40.6)
White-tailed Tropicbird  (1)
Brown Booby  (13)
Lesser Frigatebird  (9)
Crested Tern  (4)
Common Tern?  (3)
Bridled Tern  (4)
Common Noddy  (2)

Day 4..... 15th October

Today we hit the jackpot. On the final approaches to Ashmore Reef 3
Jouanin's Petrels were sighted and being a potential new bird for the
Australian list there was lots of excitement.  The best sighting involved 2
birds sitting on the water. We approached cautiously before they took
flight to reveal the diagnostic tail shape and bill structure.
Identification of these birds is particularly difficult until close views
are obtained and this time we had great views (A full report will be
provided to BARC). Sightings of False Killer Whale and more Bulwer's
Petrels and Matsudaira's Storm Petrel continued to please. Late afternoon
saw us
walking ashore on Ashmore reef after having our permits inspected by the
authorities.

Tahiti Petrel  (10)
BULWER'S PETREL  (17 + 5 more unconfirmed) ***
JOUANIN'S PETREL  (3) *** (location 12.41.3/122.37.1)
Streaked Shearwater  (3)
Wedge-tailed Shearwater  (2)
MATSUDAIRA'S STORM PETREL  (15) ***
Masked Booby  (5)
Brown Booby  (150+)
Red-footed Booby  (4)
Lesser Frigatebird  (3)
Crested Tern  (6)
Common Tern  (7)
Bridled Tern  (2)
Sooty Tern  (3)
Common Noddy  (6)

Day 5..... 16th October

The morning was spent on Ashmore reef searching carefully through the
limited vegetation close to the beach.  Some interested birds were found
with the species list being very similar to those reported last year.
Highlights included 5 Australian Pratincole, 19 Fork-tailed Swift, 5
Oriental Cuckoo, 4 Horsefield's Bronze Cuckoo, 1 Yellow Wagtail and an
unidentified warbler (most likely an Oriental Reed Warbler or Gray's
Grasshopper Warbler).  After a late breakfast and a wave goodbye to the
'boat people' we set sail again heading SW towards the Lacepedes in glassy
calm seas. A single Lesser Noddy being a particularly good sighting amongst
the many Black just as we were leaving Scott Reef. Many waders and Egrets
were also seen but have not been included below.

Species recorded at or near Ashmore Reef on the 15th and 16th
Red-tailed Tropicbird  (4)
Red-footed Booby  (1)
Brown Booby  (200+)
Greater Frigatebird  (2)
Lesser Frigatebird  (1)
Crested Tern  (40)
Common Tern  (2)
Sooty Tern  (50+)
White-winged Black Tern  (1)
Common Noddy  (200+)
Black Noddy  (400+)
LESSER NODDY  (1)

Sighted at sea on the 16th
Tahiti Petrel  (8)
BULWER'S PETREL  (6) ***
Streaked Shearwater  (1)
Masked Booby  (1)
Red-footed Booby  (3)
Brown Booby  (45)
Little Black Cormorant  (2)
Crested Tern  (3)
Common Tern  (10)
Bridled Tern  (4)
Sooty Tern  (1)
White-winged Black Tern  (3)
Common Noddy  (5)

Day 6..... 17th October

Awoke once again in very calm seas after sailing through the night our
position at 0600hrs being 13.20 / 122.51.  Today was the day for Storm
Petrels as we enjoyed the last of the deep water.  All up we sighted
another 8 Swinhoe's and 38 Matsudaira's plus many more that escaped
positive ID (mostly around 13.31 - 13.36 / 122.51).  Also of note was the
number of Tahiti Petrels in all 28 were counted suggesting that they are
regular visitors to this remote part of Australia at this time of year.

Tahiti Petrel  (28)
BULWER'S PETREL  (7)
Streaked Shearwater  (3)
Leach's Storm Petrel  (1 possible sighting only)
MATSUDAIRA'S STORM PETREL  (38 plus up to 30 more unidentified)
SWINHOE'S STORM PETREL  (8 plus up to 10 more unidentified)
Brown Booby  (9)
Lesser Frigatebird  (1)
Long-tailed Jaeger  (2)
Crested Tern  (1)
Common Tern  (32)
Bridled Tern  (5)
Sooty Tern  (3)
Whiskered Tern  (1)
White-winged Black Tern  (6)
Common Noddy  (3)
Oriental Cuckoo?  (1 bird thought to be this sp)
Fork-tailed Swift  (17)

Day 7..... 18th October

Much shallower seas today as we approached the Lacepede Islands. Depth at
0600hrs was 45m 15.59 / 122.19.  Winds increased to 10 knots from the SW
consequently the diversity of deep water species had dropped
off significantly. Great views of breaching Hump-backed Whale thrilled all.
Arrived at West Island at 1320 ready for an afternoon ashore viewing the
many nesting Brown Boobies, Lesser Frigatebirds and Bridled Tern not to
mention wader numbers the likes of which need to be seen to be
believed.  And to finish the day off 3 exhausted Barn Swallows landed on
the yacht next to our dining table.

At sea:
Streaked Shearwater  (3)
Wilson's Storm Petrel  (15)
Brown Booby  (50+)
Frigatebird Sp  (1)
Lesser Crested Tern  (1)
Common Tern  (15)
Bridled Tern  (9)
White-winged Black Tern  (4)
Common Noddy  (10)

Day 8..... 19th October

The final leg into Broome along the coast for a 8.30am arrival on the beach
at Broome.

At sea:
Roseate Tern  (1000+)
Common Tern  (10)
Little Tern  (2)
Brown Booby  (15)
Silver Gull  (10+)

Special thanks go to all those who took part and to the captain and crew of
the 'Jodi Anne II' who made this amazing trip so pleasurable.  Highlights
were many, the food was just great, as was the weather and the company of
everyone on board.  In closing it is worth pointing out that is clear that
much is still to be learn't about the seas in this part of Australia.  A
similar trip is scheduled for next year, but that may be the last for a
while as the yacht is going on a world trip for a few years.

Regards
Tony Palliser