birding-aus

Little Bittern\Bushhen

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Little Bittern\Bushhen
From: "Bill Moorhead" <>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 16:29:42 +1000
I went to Sherwood Park ,Bris yesterday.The male Little Bittern was hard to find but was found  almost directly in front of the end of the cul-de-sac  at the first lagoon.It took about an hour to find it and I only stayed that long because of the fantastic views of a single Bushhen ....the B.H is easy to find foraging at the other end of lagoon 2 near the main carpark
The Little Bittern was unbelievably hard for me to see. I didn't realize just how crytic and small they are!.I'd recommend sitting on the grass at the end of the cul-de-sac and looking into the reeds slowly scanning.I didn't see the female but I've got to say that it is one of top birds I've ever seen....so locals should take advantage of this opportunity.

I spoke to a couple of Uni students doing a Moorhen survey and study.They said that the Little Bitterns were there last year and quite easy to see flying between the lagoons at times
Interesting to note that they had also seen.........
                           Black Bitterns
                           Spotless Crakes(recently)
                           Spotted Crakes
                           Bailons Crakes
As well as 110 species....my list was 50 in an hour including tons of Little Lorrikeets.I was with my bricklayer who is not a birdwatcher and I reckon he might get hooked!!  Funny thing too with the Uni students;when I was talking about these great birds,they said they were only interested in Moorhens at the moment!
All the best and thankyou to the Birding-Ausers for there directions
   Bill