birding-aus

"Ravels Pelaero" some of this is true!!!!

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: "Ravels Pelaero" some of this is true!!!!
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 00:17:33 -0700 (PDT)
Dear All,
Before you go reading on, what I would like you all to
do, is go get your CD or whatever of Ravel's Bolero
and switch it on. Then read these words I have strung
quickly together. Use them for whatever you wish to
raise funds for birds but birds only. I challenge them
thar pesky Yanks to do better with real story?

You might ask what is true and what is not? I'll let
Jim Davis know the answer to that later on this week.

Now to scare many on this list whilst others may think
Gammo's lost his marbles?

Last night I saw thee most beautiful of sight,
Air wave after wave, of pelican in flight,
Four to a row they came gliding in,
Wings first wide outstretched, landing gently, then
tucked within,
Row after row they kept landing skiing along,
Soft gentle "Honks", they sent to me their song,
Twenty, Twenty-five or maybe more,
They all touched down, close to my shore,
A short while later they repeated the dose,
Fifty or more came up real close,
I felt something special was soon to happen,
But what could it be? what was this bird pattern?,

Soon forty to my left and forty to my right,
A center aisle became clear for one yet out of sight,
Then raising up their wings they all turned around,
Beaks pointing to an horizon dot, my eyes soon found,
The dot grew bigger in to the shape of a huge bird,
Was this my honkers? or a dream, oh how absurd,
The center aisle opened wider, as all there seemed to
know,
It was mate Honkers, their NEW king, and what did he
have in tow?

For behind him I could see in the straightest of line,
Came his Queen and two children, looking oh so fine,
I burst into tears as he swam up to me,
I quickly waded in, no care for my icy cold sea,
As I put my arms around his big strong neck,
I felt his beak give my ear a gentle peck,
Talking deep, I asked for a lend,
"Please introduce me, my greatest of friend"

John this is my wife, our Queen, that you already
know,
And these are our children, John and Robert, hey dry
your eyes you silly so and so,
All gathered there walked up the beach sand,
No need to talk or hold a hand,
I asked Honkers how was his fish-hooked foot,
He raised it up as I took a look,
John and Robert had to get in on this new fad,
As they too raised their foot, just like their dad,
Very soon after it was so plain to see,
Just what my Honkers had taken from me,
For he, had trained, all of his there,
To raise one foot, balance, without a care,

Laughing aloud as I said to him,
No guessing now where you get that grin,
I'm glad you've taken some humor from me.
Spread it around your friends of the sea,
As I told the story, to all gathered around,
About Honkers painful fish-hook, and the new friend I
had found,
After this tale he stood up tall and faced his sea,
I knew, oh to soon, he'd say goodbye to me,
As many of his turned, waddled, then swam away,
Leaving Honkeres, Robert, John and me with no words to
say,
One big hug then the three took off,
My eyes running tears and this damned silly cough,

Got my emotions together, found his Queen had decided
to stay,
She spoke saying, "My name is Hilary, and we'll always
a good day",
Some days will be great, whilst others a little sad,
But as long as we have each other, They'll never be
bad.

John A. Gamblin

=====
Sings "B'cos" I can:
Picture yourself in a boat on our Yarra,
With passerine in trees, eating a "four 'n' twenty pie,
Some bird he cawls you, you answer quite slowly,
It's a Kookaburra with a baby magpie,
Newspaper roll ups appear at my door,