birding-aus

Silver Plains Cape York

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Silver Plains Cape York
From: "John McLennan" <>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 17:10:41 +1000
                      Silver Plains Station                  Cape York

      I have today received a letter from an officer in the ATSI Lands Acts Branch of the Department of Natural Resources in Cairns, informing me that as of 20th October 2000 the road from the Massey River to the Rocky River  on Silver Plains Station in Cape York will be permanently closed.
     This closure of access to the Rocky River and to the  eastern McIlwraith Range with its diverse mix of gallery rainforest and tropical woodland, is a very sad day for anyone interested in the birds, mammals and reptiles of Cape York, as the area is home to many interesting and rare birds, mammals and reptiles.
       A short list of the  of the birds found here includes, Eclectus Parrot, Red-cheeked Parrot, Marbled Frogmouth, Yellow-billed Kingfisher, Tropical Scrubwren, Tawny-breasted Honeyeater, Green-backed Honeyeater, White-streaked Honeyeater, Northern Scrub-robin, Black-winged Monarch, White-eared Monarch, Magnificent Riflebird, Trumpet Manucode, Fawn-breasted Bowerbird and White-faced Robin.
      A short list of the mammals would include  Bare-backed Fruit-bat, Eastern or Queensland Tube-nosed Bat, Black-footed Tree-rat, Common Spotted Cuscus, Southern Common Cuscus, Striped Possum, and the Fawn Leaf-nosed Bat.
    The list or reptiles and amphibians  would include the Amethystine Python and Northern Tree Snake, as well as the  Growling Frog, White-lipped Tree-frog, Striped Rocket Frog, Shrill Chirper and the Wood Frog.
    I am unaware of the reasons for the closure of this road, however I know  representations were made by many people with an interest in the birds of this area for this road to stay open, as the 700,000 acre property is owned by the Queensland Government.

                     I have been to this area on 18 separate visits to Cape York.

                   John McLennan      Woy  Woy   NSW