birding-aus

Couple of recent sightings

To: <>
Subject: Couple of recent sightings
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 09:51:36 +1100
> I did a bit of a recce last Sunday week out to the Banyule wetlands (about
> 15 km north-east of the city) and picked up 47 species in a bit under an
> hour, including a pair of White-necked Herons, Fan-tailed and Horsfield
> Bronze- Cuckoos and my first Victorian sighting of Scaly-breasted Lorikeets.
> No snipe yet, but hopefully by Sunday week...
> Regards to all, Jack Krohn

John, I was at Banyule last Friday and flushed 4 Snipe. I've seen them a couple
of times over the last few weeks - particularly is in the boggy-grassy area
between the wetland and the city-side bike track. The holes they probe in the
mud was quite noticeable.

There were also a couple of Black-winged Stilt, a single Great Egret (many
Cattle Egret), Little Grassbird next to the main wetland sign, Grey Thrush
nesting in a hole of the biggest River Red, with 3 Dusky Woodswallow huddled
close by. Again there was no sign of Crake.

Tim