birding-aus

Access and Swedish rules

To: <>
Subject: Access and Swedish rules
From: Katarina Stenman <>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 10:52:06 +0200
Hej,

I would not claim that there is a "Rubbish" problem around camping spots
but it is not always totally cleaned either. If anything is left, it up to
the land owner to remove it. Generally I think that you will find more
rubbish where it not should have been dumped within Australia, like along
roadsides and picnic areas. The amount of broken glass and old bottles in
OZ is totally unbelieveable(and even more strange is that it is sometimes
saved as untouchable heritage items within national parks but that is an
another story).
Yes, there are lots of tourists but not at all the same numbers as you get
down under. The main countries of origin are Norway and Finland and they
are used to the same system. Increasing numbers of people from Germany and
the rest of Europe may change the situation. Out of these there are just a
few that wonder out into the forests most stay close to the roads and
picnic areas. There are not any big troubles with tourists doing strange
things when following the system. Occationally people maybe camp to close
to someones house or walk through a crop growing field. At christmas time
there is usually a couple of people(mostly natives not only tourists) who
think that you are allowed to cut a x-mas tree anywhere but it is not
allowed! Apart from berries and mushrooms you are allowed to pick plants
and flowers(if not listed on the endangered list), dead wood (like fallen
branches), go fishing in the sea(fishing in lakes usually requires a permit
which can be bought in the nearest village). Hunting is strictly regulated
by law, just a few species are allowed all year round. You can´t bring your
horse out in the wilderness unless you follow the roads(is classified as a
vehicle!) or drive your Ski-doo wherever you like, not even when everything
is covered by snow.

I think it would be great if the same system was applied in Australia, at
least in the remote areas where(as someone stated earlier) you have not got
a clue where the right person to ask for camping permission is to be found.

Another angle to this is: I don´t know if you all are familiar with your
system when it comes to collecting specimens of plants(for scientific use)?
If I would like to do so in OZ I need 4 permits)! and preferrably I should
state where, when and what to be picked(even if it happens to be a roadside
weed). No chance of new remarkable findings. Here anyone could collect as
long as you not breaking the law by taking listed species or going within
reserves.

Hälsningar(=Regards)
Katarina

Katarina Stenman