birding-aus

Birding on the weekend

Subject: Birding on the weekend
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 11:03:40 +1000

G'day all

On Sunday, armed with my new GPS, I ventured forth to do some atlasing in places
I'd never been before.

First and second stops were in the Anya State Forest about 10km north of Heywood
in sw Victoria.  The forest is mostly stringybark eucalypts and blackwod wattles
with a nice understory of heaths, peas, orchids etc.   A good range of bush
birds at each location.  Golden Whistlers seemed to be calling in all
directions.  Lots of Brown and Striated Thornbills, a few assorted Honeyeaters
(no wattlebirds strangely) and a Yellow Robin or two.  An Olive-backed Oriole
was a good find at the second stop.  Also interesting were the very dark Pied
Currawongs.  Only one cuckoo - a fan-tailed - was seen or heard.  At the first
stop I reckon I heard a Ruous Bristlebird calling from a dense sedge area.  It
wouldn't show itself however.

Third stop was in the Homerton State Forest about 10km east of Heywood.  This
was somewhat wetter than the Anya SF and the understory was mainly dense teatree
and sedge.  Not many birds here but it was getting late and starting to rain.

Cheers

Steve

Steve Clark
45 Carmichael Street, Hamilton, Victoria, 3300
www.ansonic.com.au/clarks/sw_birds.htm