birding-aus

Regent Honeyeaters at Taronga Zoo

To: <>
Subject: Regent Honeyeaters at Taronga Zoo
From: "Trena Carney" <>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 06:34:26 -0700
Folks

I'm currently off birding-us as I will be in the field for the next few weeks.  Just a bit of news for Sydney-siders or those visiting.

The Regent HE Recovery Program initiated a captive-breeding program in 1995.  From a humble start mighty things have grown with over 50 birds now housed in four institutions.  For the first time Regent Honeyeaters are now on public display at Taronga.

Although the display was put together in a hurry as the beurocrats  wanting the birds ready for the "Olympic rush" it looked pretty impressive yesterday when I spent time watching it.  The aviary itself is still be be landscaped as a box-ironbark woodland but the Regents are putting on a mighty show.  They are active and vocal, being real show ponies.

Well worth the look.

Cheers

David Geering
Regent Honeyeater Recovery Coordinator.