birding-aus

A Superb 2 hours at Prospect Reservoir (Blacktown) NSW 24th September 20

To: <>
Subject: A Superb 2 hours at Prospect Reservoir (Blacktown) NSW 24th September 2000
From: "Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 14:59:47 -0000
Decided to make a visit to one of my local spots, being Prospect Reservoir (about 40 km west of Sydney) for a couple of hours this morning. The Reservoir itself had hundreds of Coots, 10 Hardheads, a few Australasian Grebes, and no less than 30 graceful Great-crested Grebes. Prospect is probably the only place in Sydney at the moment where you can expect to see these superb birds, and this was probably the largest number that I have ever encountered together (though there has been reports of over 100 birds here at times in the past). All where in beaut breeding plumage, many pairing and showing off their elegant crests. A few Reed Warblers where singing melodiously in the reed beds surrounding the eastern section of the reservoir.

I drove up the top picnic area overlooking the eastern shore of the reservoir and discovered a good blossum of Mugga Ironbarks and Spotted Gums. There were lots of Honeyeaters about, namely Red and Little Wattlebirds, White-plumed, Yellow-faced, New Holland (which is unusual to see at Prospect) and several Scarlet Honeyeaters. I enjoyed watching 2 brilliant male Scarlet Honeyeaters chasing each other at tree top level. I said to myself, there ought to be Regent Honeyeaters or Swift Parrots around with this blossum, and as I was walking towards one corner of the picinic area, probably no fewer than a half a dozen (pobably more) Swift Parrots where about. They where hard to see as they indulged themselves in the necter of the Spotted Gums, leaving the richer flowering Mugga Ironbarks to the both species of Wattlebirds and White-plumed Honeyeaters. However I could not see any aggression between the Swift Parrots and other birds. Also here were Crested Shriketits and Eastern Yellow Robins.

Back at the bottom of the hill, lots of Welcome Swallows and Fairy Martins were hawking about over the paddocks and Woodland, with both Fan-tailed and Horsfield's Bronze-cuckoos, Rufous Whistlers, White-throated Gerygones, Weebills, Mistletoebirds, aswell as Spotted and Striated Paradalotes calling about.

All in a beautiful Spring morning in Sydney.

Edwin