birding-aus

Re: vocal mimicry by Noisy Miner

To: "Judie Peet" <>, "birding aus" <>
Subject: Re: vocal mimicry by Noisy Miner
From: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 12:39:39 +1000
Re Judie's note below. My first article about Regent Honeyeater vocal mimicry (ABW 14(5): 180-189) noted (page 186) that "Unlike several other Australian passerine families, members of the Meliphagidae are not noted for indulging in vocal mimicry. Indeed Chisholm (1932) ... noted "Not one species .... of honeyeater is a mimic, though some of them have worthy voices......" I also found several examples but these did not include the Noisy Miner. So maybe you have added to the list.
Philip