birding-aus

Spring in Western Qld.

To: <>
Subject: Spring in Western Qld.
From: "Julie Lynn McLaren" <>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 19:26:35 +0930
The last few days have really warmed up out here and larger flocks of birds are in the the homestead and cottage gardens. While we always have about 70 odd species around the homestead, the groups are larger about this time of year as a lot of the surface water has dried up.
I thought that some might be interested to hear of some I have seen as I go about the chores of watering and mulching both gardens.
I see about 20 little Double-barred finches several times a day along with the same number of Zebras , They're usually drinking from the pools of water left by the sprinklers or flitting about in our tamarisk trees which are just starting to flower.
For the last 3 days I have seen a few Variegated Fairy Wrens over in the cottage garden[while I was sitting on the verandah having a break].
Two Australian Ringnecks[we call them Buln-bulns] have nested in a large gum tree just outside my back door and have had a terrible time with a few galahs harrassing them mercilessly, however the galahs haven't been around for a week or so, so hopefully the chicks are hatched.
Every day I walk down to the shearers quarters and every day I see 2 to 4 Bourke's Parrots, always coming from the same direction and alighting in the same ironwood tree before heading off in another direction[also the same].
While down at the quarters I usually see some Red-rumps, and this is the first year that we have seen them as far West as 'Bowra' , probably because of the great season we've had.
In the cattle yards where we've been feeding cattle, just in front of the cottage, there are always flocks of Corellas,Cockatiels and Top-knot pigeons.
There are more Mulga Parrots around the house environs at the moment, aren't they the dearest little birds?
While we always have lots of Major Mitchells, yesterday afternoon there were so many sitting in a half dead Cypress Pine that it literally looked like a pink and white tree.
The White-plumed honeyeaters are really busy and have their beautiful nests and babies everywhere, the one outside this window has a fascinating array of material in it, including hair from our dogs.
A Pardalote has nested in a little hole smaller than a 50c piece in the side wall of the cottaage. One did last year also and I'm wondering if it's the same one.
I'll finish now but this was just to give a bit of an idea of how lucky we are out here, in seeing on a daily basis, without even looking, no binoculars to boot, these beautiful birds.
It's now about 6:30p.m. and the Brolga's are calling. You can just about set your clock by them or by the Kookaburras.
Julie McLaren.

"Bowra"
 Cunnamulla, Qld. 4490.

PH.  O746551238