birding-aus

Racism at Wottamolla

Subject: Racism at Wottamolla
From: David Siems <>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 17:27:26 +1100
 Hi Netters,
            Another seabird morning at Wottamolla (south of Sydney) with
Steve Anyon-Smith. Before we could settle in we had five huge seabirds
flying south just 150 metres from shore. A quick check and we marked off
five Black Swans. Then thirteen Little Black Cormorants flew past and then
headed out to sea until little black dots in the scope before heading south.
Wedgetail and Fluttering Shearwaters were numerous for us, flying north and
south. One White-fronted Tern and some Gannets. No albatross. Above us were
three Sea Eagles, Kestrel, Black-shouldered Kite and a Brown Goshawk.
            Steve then told me about the racism. The day before he was
watching two Large Pied Cormorants migrating south with obviously no visa
and not causing any problems, when a Peregrine Falcon came at full speed and
hit one of the Cormorants so hard the Cormorant went into a spin and
cartwheeled down and disappeared behind the cliff. The other Cormorant
realised it was in Peregrine country and turned and flew north.
            It must have been one of those days as a huge half loaded
container ship steaming north probably realised it forgot to stop at
Wollongong so it did a big "U" turn and headed south.

All the Best
David Siems
Sydney, Australia
Phone: +61 (0)2 9759 1891