birding-aus

Re: Female Chestnut Teals

To: <>
Subject: Re: Female Chestnut Teals
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 15:49:17 +1000

>>> <> 09/11/00 05:30PM >>>

Everyone seems to have skipped Tim Dolby's comment about how to identify
female Chestnut Teals.

>While at the wetlands another birdwatcher wondered up
>to me and asked me how I distinguished between female
>Chestnut Teal and Grey Teal? Easy, I said. The female
>Chestnut Teal is the one beside the male Chestnut Teal
>- very Scientific!

I assume that the 'wondered' was deliberate ...

I was hoping that people would follow up on this.  Especially Victorians
where the two occur commonly together.  Maybe everyone is like me and
admits to using the same logic, or winging it at times.

In WA we don't often get both species together.  The Esperance area is the
most likely, although it is at Lake McLarty near Pinjarra roughly 100km SSE
of Perth that I have most often had to decide.  I usually don't include
Chestnut Teal on my list unless I have seen a male, although there have
been a few times that I have wondered.

Simpson & Day specify the whiter throat and paler overall of the Grey Teal.

Can they be distiguished in flight?  Do they have a different call?  Are
there any other features that should be looked for?  What does Morcombe
specify?