birding-aus

"Black" White-winged Fairy Wren

Subject: "Black" White-winged Fairy Wren
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 10:09:46 +0800

I was on the Australian Wader Study Group wader banding expedition to NW
Australia a few years ago.  We spent some time on 80 Mile Beach at Anna
Plains Station about 200km south of Broome.  One day on a neap tide, we
diverted to banding passerines at the back of the coastal dunes, and we
caught some White-winged Fairy-wrens.  They are very hard to catch as they
sit on top of the mist nets, or they just go straight through!

Anyway, there were some very dark males seen, but if you looked hard enough
they were actually an extremely deep blue, but at first glance you would
swear that they were black.