birding-aus

Northern Duck Moult

To: <>
Subject: Northern Duck Moult
From: "Vella" <>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 19:40:28 -0000
Andrew wrote:

> > Like the Pintail, the Northern Shoveler is also in
> > immaculate condition. I'm more than aware that this
> > poses questions about how both birds have reached
> > Australia in such a state.
> >
> > Ultimately this will be a question for BARC to decide
> > and if evidence emerges that these birds are escapees,
> > I'll be more than happy to strike them from my list.
> > That won't make me think the whole exercise was a
> > waste of time. On the contrary, it's been FUN finding
> > these rather exquisite birds - a concept which I think
> > occasionally goes missing on Birding-Aus.

Andrew's comment just brought to my mind that on one visit to Featherdale
Wildlife Park, I remember seeing a Bar-tailed Godwit in non-breeding plumage
during our winter. I'm just thinking whether captive birds do get a bit
confused for whatever reason, to moult in summer breeding plumage or in the
reverse situation. Perhaps climate conditions may be the reason?

Like many others, I am also interested in how these 2 rare ducks were still
in immaculate breeding plumage. Hopefully we will soon find out.

Edwin