birding-aus

Qld. land clearing controls

To: <>
Subject: Qld. land clearing controls
From: "Julie Lynn McLaren" <>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 21:59:52 +0930

Several days ago I posted a message re the above subject.I worded it very badly and have replied to people who have responded to my message.
Tonight on the news I heard that there has been no agreement between the two governments, so we are basically at a stalemate.
 In my original posting I failed to mention that I was referring to an area 1,000 klms. West of the intensive farming areas and any land clearing out in this area is basically to stop erosion. From our personal experience of having pulled scrub about 10 years ago to stop this erosion I have come to the conclusion that there has to be a case for selective clearing.Where there was no grass and a lot of sick trees there is now an abundance of all the native grasses and thousands of mulga trees, and in this rejuvenated area the wealth of not only birdlife but all wildlife native to this area has increased tenfold.
Because of the diversity of the types of country in Qld. there can't be one rule for this huge state, because if selective clearing is not permitted, a lot of Western Qld, i.e. the hard mulga country, will end up in Lake Eyre or the Murray River, and because of our droughts and "flooding rains" in this semi arid region,erosion is part of the cycle.
I am appalled by the large scale clearing of timber which is occurring in some areas in the pursuit of the almighty dollar but I don't think that it is only farming communities that are guilty of this practice, and farmers do have to be allowed to keep in line with the CPI which is the privilege of all other Australians and how this can be done is a great big question mark.
Moderation and common sense on both sides must be employed to arrive at a satisfactory result.
Regards,
Julie McLaren