birding-aus

Newbie question

To: "Larry Halpin" <>, "Birding-Aus Mail" <>
Subject: Newbie question
From: Paul Foxworthy <>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 13:43:19 +1000
At 10:29 14/08/2000 +1000, Larry Halpin wrote:
>I am very new to birding so I hope you will bear with me for a while.
>
>I have been trying to produce a chart (that I will be able to use easily)
>that shows all the orders/families/genera/species of Australian birds.  It
>will also show brief description of families & genera.  Unfortunately I had
>to get the orders etc. from one source & the descriptions fropm another.
>When I tried to match them up I hit trouble.  Some families had completely
>different names.  Some birds had been put into different families.
>
>My question is.
>Is there a definitive list that I could use, & if so, where can I get a
>copy?

As you've discovered, there have been many changes in taxonomy and common
names. The reference which most people work from now is

Christidis, L., and Boles, W.E., The Taxonomy and Species of Birds of Australia
and Its Territories. Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union Monograph 2. RAOU,
Melbourne. 1994.

You should be able to get a copy from Birds Australia (the common name for the
RAOU) (www.birdsaustralia.com.au), the Bird Observers Club of Australia
(www.birdobservers.org.au) or Andrew Isles Books (www.andrewisles.com). Andrew
Isles has it for A$22. You can also order it on-line from the Natural History
Bookshop at www.nhbs.com.

Cheers

Paul Foxworthy

---- Coherent Software ------------- http://www.cohsoft.com.au/ ----
For interactive Web sites, databases, software, animation
Aust. Family History Compendium at http://www.cohsoft.com.au/afhc/