birding-aus

Trip delights

To: "birding-aus" <>, <>
Subject: Trip delights
From: "Bob & Sadhana Cook" <>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 20:34:28 +1000
We have just returned from a 7 week tour of Central Aus., Western Qld and
Nth Qld from Townsville up to Iron Range.  While we are relatively new
birders (first birding north of Sunshine Coast), we focussed considerably
on our birding and Atlassing on almost every day.

Overall result:  289 species, approx. 70 Atlas surveys, 76 new birds for me
(56 from Townsville and North)

Highlights (not in order):
The Centre generally is wonderful at present - lush, wildflowers everywhere
and two birds for every flower!!

Rufous-crowned Emu-wren and Spinifexbird at Ellery Big Hole
Dusky Grasswren at 3 places (Ormiston Gorge, Kings Canyon rim walk and
N'dhala Gorge - East McDonnells)
Bourke's Parrot and Painted Honeyeater at Kunoth Well (did not find the
Grey HE)
Banded Whiteface at the Thomas & Thomas site North of Erldunda
Seven Raptor species within about 40km of the Lasseter Hwy (Black Kite,
Whistling Kite, Brown Falcon, Aust. Kestrel, Little Eagle, Wedge-tailed
Eagle, Spotted Harrier)
Wonderful spots where we stopped for a 20min Atlas survey in the Centre.
Usually stopped at a dry creek bed in the mid-morning and would find 20 -
25 species teeming over the River Red Gums and nearby shrubs at such
places. Special was a creek bed on the Ernest Giles Road 4 kms west of the
Stuart Highway.
Pied Butcherbirds all over the Centre (early morning concert on the
Ormiston Pound walk was a delight).
Pair of Grey Falcons nest building over a dry creek bed on the Plenty
Highway
4 frustrating hours failing to find the Carpentarian Grasswren out from Mt
Isa - but a wonderful job being done by Bob Forsythe in collecting and
providing relevant information - well done!)
A fantastic day at Townsville Common - 43 species in 3 1/2 hours - what a
great place!
Victoria's Riflebird pinching the Devonshire tea off the table at Paluma
Range - Macleay's HE sitting on the wife's arm for the photo shoot!
Southern Cassowary wandering past within 4 feet of us on the Licuala Forest
walk in the early morning - the fear was overcome by the awe.
Metallic Starlings over-wintering at Mission Beach - there cannot be a bird
whose guidebook illustration does it less justice than this - the colours
in the sun are stunning)
Jabirus soaring - there is no more majestic and beautiful sight of a bird
soaring than these sleek birds with stark black and white contrasts on the
underwing
Kingfisher Park at Julatten like entering paradise as a place to stay, see
locals, rest the soul, and use as a base for the area (Red-necked Crake and
Buff-banded Rail in the garden just off the verandah!!, Lesser Sooty Owl in
the nearby field)
Finally seeing both of those Stone-Curlews - Beach at Cairns Esplanade,
Bush at Kingfisher Park
Chris Dahlberg's trip on the Daintree - missed the Papuan Frogmouth, but
saw the Great-billed Heron and many others - bloody cold though!!
Red Goshawks at the nest, outside Lakefield N.P. - details being protected.
 Great views through the telescope after a 2 1/2 hour wait.
Sue Shepherd showing us the Golden-shouldered Parrots at Artemis Station -
what a lovely, obliging, down-to-earth person - would have taken an
eternity to find them on our own.
Fun trip to Michaelmas Cay on a windy, choppy, lumpy day.  Feeling a bit
like David Attenborough wandering around this tiny sand island with the
Boobies, Noddies, Terns and Figatebirds everywhere.
Meeting John Crowhurst on the Cairns Esplanade - another lovely person.  He
spies out anyone with binocs or telescope and comes and gives you heaps of
very knowledgeable tips for there and other local areas. Although he's
retired now, they should have him on the local tourism payroll.
Hasties Swamp near Atherton.  Small area where I saw my first and (approx.)
2000th Plumed Whistling Duck in the space of about 10 minutes.

Finally - stuffed wheel bearings on the camper trailer and then a minor car
accident at and on the way out of Iron Range - a real bad hair day.  Result
was lack of will to stay and then only 7 new species at Iron Range and only
4 endemics. Next time I'll fly in!!!

I am happy to provide more details on our experiences if anyone cares to
drop an email our way.

Regards
Bob Cook
Elphinstone, Central Victoria