birding-aus

Wedgetail Eagle at Bobbin Head near Sydney, Saturday 5th August

To: "Birding-Aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Wedgetail Eagle at Bobbin Head near Sydney, Saturday 5th August
From: Stuart Mulvenna <>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 18:46:11 +1000
At 4:30pm today, we spotted a wedgetail eagle circling at low height over
the picnic ground at Bobbin Head in Sydney's Ku-ring-gai Chase National
Park. The eagle was being mobbed by some pied currawongs, and came in and
landed in a big gum tree on the ridge to the north overlooking the picnic
ground. If I had a scope I would have had good views of it, but it was a
bit far away for my 7X bins. The currawongs continued to harass it, and a
couple of times it took off and circled a bit over my head at low height
(during which I got a real good look) before returning to perch in the same
tree. When we left at 5 pm it was soaring above the ridge. The picnic
ground I'm referring to is the smaller one on the north side beside the
turnoff to Appletree Bay. Does anyone know whether this bird is resident in
the area?

This spot is only about 3-4km from Sydney's northern suburbs. Is it normal
for wedgies to be this close to suburbia? Previously I've only seen them
around Windsor.

Regards

Stuart