birding-aus

Bali

Subject: Bali
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 18:15:03 EDT
For those interested in birding in Bali.

We recently spent a week and a half (7-18 July) in Bali.

The highlight was a few days in the new Waka Shorea hotel in the Bali Barat
national park (on the peninsula on the far west of the island).   2km to the
west of the hotel is the Teluk Brunbun rangers post.  From here (the rangers
will walk with you and ask for a small donation) through the most westerly
valley on the island where the wild Bali Starlings apparently live
permanently.  We had a number of sightings of at least 2 (and probably 3)
birds.  The ranger with us told us that the wild population is currently 12
(although I notice that a number in the high 30s is given by World Birdwatch
magazine).  5km in the other direction (east of the hotel) is the Tegul
Bunder captive starling project where there were 49 starlings being bred.

The birding around Bali Barat (and Menjungan Island offshore) is very good.
Other highlights were Banded Pitta (1 male seen with another heard calling),
Racket Tailed Treepie (1), Green Junglefowl (common), a party of Java Sparrow
(3 males plus 2-3 females), Crescent Chested Babbler, Lemon bellied
Whiteeyes, Malaysian Plover, Beach Thick Knee, Pink Necked and Grey Cheeked
Green pigeons, and the Bali mammals (two species of deer, two species of
monkey, wild pig).

While staying at the Nusa Dua resort strip, the settling ponds (opposite Club
Med) were good for water birds (Sunda Teal, White Browed Crake, Common
Redshank, Little Blue Kingfisher, White Vented (Javan) Myna).

Ubud was good for Javan Kingfishers.  We could see them while having
breakfast in our hotel (the Waka de Ume).

One morning in the Botanic Gardens at Bedugal added Blood Breasted
Flowerpecker, Mountain White Eye, Javan Grey Throated Whiteye, Lesser
Shortwing, Indonesian Honeyeater,  and Oriental Cuckoo.

There are also a number of attractive common species such as Scarlet Headed
Flowerpecker, Javan Munia and Scaly Breasted Munia.

In all, if you go to the right places, the birding in Bali is  pretty good.

If people going to Bali would like more information feel free to email me.

Regards
John