birding-aus

Dry season burnoff - finches on the move

Subject: Dry season burnoff - finches on the move
From: Alexandra Appleman <>
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2000 07:46:08 +1000
As the dry season progresses Townsville City Council workers, Qld Parks and
Wildlife Rangers and other bodies have begun their annual burnoff of
grasses to reduce wild fire hazard (history suggests that if the big boys
with drip torches don't do it, small boys with matches take the initiative).

The grasslands close to our home was torched 10 days ago and yesterday 2
Chestnut-breasted Finches arrived at the bird-feed table, seemingly
ravenous and thirsty (we provide a small amount of seed and plenty of water
for our resident Zebra Finches and Peaceful Doves). I will be monitoring
numbers and movements in coming weeks. Last year 9 CB Finches arrived on
the first day, with numbers swelling to over 100 in successive days before
the flock gradually moved on.

House Sparrows also visit the table but their numbers seem stable, and I am
happy to report that our policy of encouraging Common Mynas 'to move on'
has also been successful with only a single pair visiting regularly.

The avian visitors are watched over by our 7-year old Rottweiler who takes
exception to White Ibis landing in the outer garden, but barks a warning
when the immature Brown Goshawk arrives on the look out for an easy meal.

Alex Appleman
Townsville