birding-aus

Box-Ironbark

Subject: Box-Ironbark
From: Lawrie Conole <>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 09:08:03 +1000
stuart dashper wrote:

> The ECC investigation offers one of the best (and possibly last)
> opportunities for the protection of a reasonable proportion of these vital
> ecosystems. Send a submission to the ECC detailing the values of this area
> and the need to conserve it. Submissions to the ECC do not have to be long,
> detailed or scientific in nature. Submissions can be limited to either a

Just a short message to support Stuart's important and timely reminder.

This review is seen by government as being THE definitive review of land use in
the box-ironbark region of Victoria, so it really is about the last chance
we'll have for some time (maybe decades) to influence government land use
policy in this bioregion.

Despite what the ECC and the Victorian Government might think, this IS NOT the
definitive review (could there even be such a thing!!??), and we need as many
pro-conservation submissions as possible.  The ECC has attempted to appease all
the extractive industries, recreational users and local interests as well as
making good biological conservation policy.  This has led to some rather
piecemeal recommendations.  For example, the largest remaining block of
box-ironbark forest, Rushworth-Heathcote, will remain largely as a timber
production area.  The ECC has missed the opportunity to make a truly
significant conservation reserve of this large, continuous block, seeking
instead to make small reserve islands within it (Mount Black, Whroo ....).
Fragmentation will be the long term result of this timid approach.  The Greater
Bendigo region, home of some of the highest songbird diversity in Australia,
gets a low protection regional park (mining allowed) rather than a state or
national park.  Not good enough!  Why should the mining industry have such
undue influence?

Please make a submission - no matter how short.  Make sure they know that
birders value this area for its remaining bird biodiversity, as well as for
protecting various threatened species and communities.  Make some suggestions
how that fauna can be better conserved.  Etc. ....... and all by 8/8/2000
please.  You can submit by email to

L.

--
L A W R I E   C O N O L E

3 Gezireh Street, Pascoe Vale South, Victoria 3044 AUSTRALIA.
Phone (03) 9354 2484; Mobile (0419) 588 993
E-mail: <>

Twitchathon 2000:  http://www.bluep.com/~oco/vthon2000.html
My Twitchathon team: http://www.bluep.com/~oco/cdph.html