birding-aus

W.F. Chats

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: W.F. Chats
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 02:27:02 -0700 (PDT)
G'day all,

Whilst I was out this afternoon strolling around the
Mullet Street Marina, with two good friends, here in
uptown Hastings, I saw in the mangrove area just to
the right of the moored accomodation centre called
"Xanadu" 7 White fronted chats. It's the first time
I've seen them in this location, they are normally
more down towards Crib Point mangroves. Seemed to be
flying back and forth getting food? for feeding young?
I couldn't spot the nest sites though.

A beautiful day weather wise down here, and the
Pelicans seem to be increasing in number?

Wandering back home after an hour or so I noticed a
large male adult Rainbow Lorikeet dining with his much
younger female scaley breasted Lorikeet. Hope the
photo's of this duo turn out okay? perhaps these are
the original odd couple.

Galah's in my local park happy the rain had stopped as
all 14, I think were having a blood rush to the head
session.

Eastern Rosella's seem a bit down in numbers, lately?

The weebil's just around the corner from my home now
number 6 it amazes me not only the size of the adult
or a juvenile but the egg and the young .... what good
eyesight Mum and Dad weebil must have to feed those
pin head sized mouths.

Friends at bittern have asked me to call round
tomorrow
as they need an I.D. on an unusual Heron there, and on
Saturday night the great night-owl safari starts, we
hope? in and around Bittern and Balnarring townships.

Tree sparrows numbers here seem the same as normal
(40-50) as does the house sparrow numbers.

Thought it must have been a low flying human hang
glider that cast a shadow this afternoon and sent many
small birds here scurrying? nope just Margaret Bell's
Wedge-Tailed Eagles :-]. The masters of flight they
sure are, so very very majestic.

Must get out and about a bit more.

John A. Gamblin