birding-aus

Orange-Bellied Parrots

To: <>
Subject: Orange-Bellied Parrots
From: "Michael Dolan" <>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 11:40:29 +0930
Hi all,

Thought I had a rare find last weekend! While staying at Victor Harbour (80km SE from Adelaide) on the Sunday morning I thought at first I was observing one and possibly two OBP's eating grass seeds on the front lawn. The male was the closer of the two and was initially only giving head and side-on views, the female was five metres further away and the borrowed bins were in the 1960's vintage and not giving a clear image. I could not see a blue nose bar on the male but a very yellowy-orange belly was obvious from the side.

After several minutes of head and side only, I finally got a rear view only to see a very red-rump! Needless to say I was quite disappointed, although it was the first Red-Rumped Parrots I had seen in the vicinity.

My question is have OBP's been recorded at Victor Harbour before?? The town is about 30km west of the Murray Mouth which I understand is there western boundary?

Regards
Michael Dolan