birding-aus

Blue Mtns Report APRIL-MAY 2000

To: <>, "Carol Probets" <>
Subject: Blue Mtns Report APRIL-MAY 2000
From: "Bruce Cox" <>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 16:20:01 +1000
Hi Carol and everyone.
Carol Probets commented on both Yellow-faced and Fuscous honeyeaters in her
Blue Mtns report on the 4 Th. both species have been in evidence in my area
this winter.

 More Yellow-faced in heath and flowering Swamp Mahogany than their usual
winter numbers. Almost everywhere I have been there has been at least some
Yellow-faces.

Fuscous has been very rare around where I live. Prior to this winter I have
only recorded it twice and in small numbers, at Red Hill [In Beacon Hill
suburb] on the 6-6-88 in heath and 1 bird at Irrawong Reserve [In the suburb
of Warriwood] on the 30-5-98 probably in Swamp Mahogany. This winter they
have been present at both Chiltern Trail [Ingleside] and Duckholes Track
[McCarrs Creek] in some numbers for the last 3 weeks. Both locations are
what I refer to as "upland sandstone heath" probably similar to much of the
Blue Mtns heath [except in altitude]

Chiltern Trail in particular has hosted good numbers of  Little Wattlebird,
New Holland, White-eared, White-naped, Eastern Spinebill, White-cheeked,
Lewin's [in heath!] and 20+Fuscous as well as Rainbow Lorikeets taking
nectar from Heath Banksia. The Heath Banksia is flowering profusely and this
appears to be attracting many of the birds. Some emergent eucalypt species
are also flowering.

Possibly the good summer season has produced a good nectar output [and
insects] and these have attracted Fuscous [and Lewin's] to heath habitat
which they do not normally visit, at least not in our areas.

Another unusual activity I saw on Chiltern Trail was a Spangled Drongo
feeding from a Heath Banksia flower, thrusting it's beak deep amongst the
styles, looking for insects I presumed. After it moved on I checked the
banksia flowers for insects but could not find any. I have since found out
they take nectar, we live and learn!

Bruce.