birding-aus

Bird Index

To: S Cooney <>
Subject: Bird Index
From: Peter Woodall <>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 13:08:10 +1000
At 11:53 8/07/2000 +1000, you wrote:
>Hi Birders,
>
>Is there an online searchable index of bird references?  Somewhere that I
>could type in, for example, Black-shouldered Kite and get loads of
>references to papers written about the bird?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Stuart
>Stuart Cooney

Hi Stuart,

You have a couple of options.

If it is an Australian bird, and if it has already been covered in the
HANZAB series, look it up there.  This provides a very comprehensive
coverage of the references on every species. Info on the Black-shouldered
Kite will be found in HANZAB (Hanbook of Australian, New Zealand and
Antarctic Birds).

If it is not in HANZAB, then your best choice would be to go to a
publication called Zoological Record.  This has come out every year
since the 1800's and attempts to cover every zoological publication
in the world!! A major benefit of this is that it covers not only the
"serious scientific journals" but also the local ones like Australian
Bird Watcher, BOC Newsletter, Sunbird, etc.

It should be available in most of the major university libraries, either
as a hard copy version or as a CD-ROM version, which goes back to about
1978.  This can be searched either by author, species or subject.

Hope this helps/

Pete

Dr Peter Woodall                          email =
Division of Vet Pathology & Anatomy
School of Veterinary Science.             Phone = +61 7 3365 2300
The University of Queensland              Fax   = +61 7 3365 1355
Brisbane, Qld, Australia 4072             WWW  = http://www.uq.edu.au/~anpwooda
"hamba phezulu" (= "go higher" in isiZulu)