birding-aus

Magic moments at Cunnamulla - longish

To: "Birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Magic moments at Cunnamulla - longish
From: David Geering <>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 10:14:24 +1000
I spent last week on the property "Bowra" at Cunnamulla.  Thank you to Tom
Tarrant for providing the details of this property to birding-aus a few
months ago.  Thanks also to those who responded to my RFI about birding
around Cunnamulla although I didn't leave the property in the five days
spent there.

Along with my family we were the first paying customers to stay on "Bowra".
Accommodation is in a comfortable cottage about 100 metres from the
homestead.  I can heartily recommend the place.  Our hosts, Julie and Ian
McLarren made us very welcome.  Ian was very busy putting during our stay so
we saw little of him but he is a mine of information about the birds of the
area having lived on the property all his life.

The property is about 40 000 ha in size with the homestead situated on the
northern boundary 17 km from Cunnamulla.  The property extends all the way
back to Cunnamulla and is 8 km from the bitumen.  I travelled another 13 km
beyond the homestead and was still on "Bowra".  There is plenty of scope for
birding.  Much of the property is on sandy plain with Gumholes Creek (an
overflow of the Warrego River) running through it.  This is an impressive
watercourse with some very large permanent waterholes.  Towards the back of
the property is Mulga on stony ridge country which adds another dimension.

The birdwatching was wonderful.  I really only seriously birded in the
morning for about  two and a half hours devoting the rest of the time to R &
R with the family - mind you there were always birds to be seen.  Despite
this limitation I recorded 100 species on the property with 69 of these
being seen within 500m of the homestead.  I Atlassed over much of the
property being impressed with the number of species I consistently got on a
2ha site.  It eventuated that I could just about have written Crested
Bellbird every time I stopped to do an Atlas survey - their calls were
everywhere and I saw them on most 2ha searched.  This leisurely birding was
punctuated with those magic birding moments that happen from time to time.

Of interest were the number of species that I thought were close to their
limits.  These included Noisy and Little Friarbirds, Brown-headed
Honeyeater, Fan-tailed Cuckoo, Olive-backed Oriole and Plum-headed Finch.
All of these were seen regularly on the property.

The birding highlights for me included:
-  The first afternoon I took my six year old daughter out looking for
Brolgas I had heard calling nearby.  Three were located on a bore drain
about 500m from the house.  While watching these a flock of about 150
Plum-headed Finches fly up out of the grass to sit in the saltbush.  A
regularly seen species for me but somewhat unexpected here.

-  Located many more Plum-headed Finches whenever near water.  The most
memorable of these was the last morning when I stopped the car to have a
look at a Wedge-tailed Eagle only to realise that I was surrounded by
finches and doves.  Hundreds of Plum-heads along with Zebras and
Double-bars.  Also hundreds of Diamond Doves which were also regularly
around water.

-  While doing a 20 minute Atlas survey I flushed a trio of Bourke Parrots
which obligingly few around me giving me excellent views.

-  Stopping at a creek crossing realising that there was no way I was going
to cross it only to have a pair of Bourke Parrots land at the water 10
metres away and drink.  I turned around in response to some twittering to
find another Bourke in the dead tree I had parked under.  Magnificent views
in the morning light.  At that moment a Major Mitchell Cockatoo flew low
overhead.  Truly one of those magic moments.

-  Having a Black-breasted Buzzard lazily fly low overhead while conducting
an Atlas survey.

-  Searching for ages for Chestnut-breasted Quail-thrush on the stony ridge.
I stopped to take in the sight of Red-winged Parrots, Mulga Parrots and
Ringnecks in the same area for a couple of minutes my eyes rested on a
tree-creeper in the Mulga.  Having a closer look I saw my first White-browed
Tree-creeper.  My eyes then caught some movement at the base of the tree.
Thinking it was a Crested Bellbird I had seen when I first arrived I lifted
the binoculars to find the elusive quail-thrush.  Another magic moment.

-  Finding Chestnut-breasted Quail-thrush and White-browed Tree-creepers
very easily a couple of days later.  The first ones are always the hardest
to find!

-  Birding along a small creek in fairly rough country at the back of the
property.  38 species on a 20 minute, 2 ha search.

- The brilliant male White-winged and Splendid Fairy-wrens along with
Variegated.

- The number of parrots - Ringnecks, Mulga, Red-winged and Major Mitchell's
Cockatoo being common and easy to see.

Following is a list of birds seen 3 -7 July at "Bowra".  Missing is Bustard
seen by Ian McLarren in a paddock being ploughed on our last morning.  It
was gone half an hour later when we drove past but we did, however, see one
93km south of Cunnamulla later that afternoon.

David Geering

List of birds seen on "Bowra", Cunnamulla.  HSD indicates seen with 500 m of
homestead.

Emu