birding-aus

Odd atlas records.

Subject: Odd atlas records.
From: "jon wren" <>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 02:50:17 PDT
Gooday Bob,
I've posted this to birding-aus as I feel there is a need to discuss this issue more widely in an attempt identify any problem with the reporting of and vetting of information received. Trust that is OK with you. Since being appointed an SRO for the Bowen Qld. area when I was on holidays in 1998, I have received the grand total of one sheet to vet. That sheet was done by a southern visitor who visited Mullers Lagoon, the sheet having been forwarded to me by Jo W. Recently with the Bowen birding weekend I was talking to Peter and Pam Gallagher during our conversation I mentioned recent White-winged Chough sightings at Thurso road. 20 10S 147 57E They told me that they recorded them for a count area near Collinsville but after forwarding to Marion C the sighting for WwC was queried. Further to this I forwarded my sighting of a party of WwC to the QOSI Birdline. Since then the QOSI Newsletter has been issued it contained no mention of the observation, plus no listing of the sighting at the QOSI Birdline (updated to May 2000) website.

Is there a central point where we can email sightings for inclusion of records in Qld.?

With the examples that you have provided in previous emails plus the information above it seems to be quite apparent that a procedure needs to be reviewed immediately by a number of Birding Organisations.

Birding-aus is an excellent forum and I note from time to time the inclusion of a number of articles from this discussion group find there way into newsletters etc. With this in mind does anyone scan the information for records of importance or interest to pass onto relevant authorities or birding organisations?

Maybe cyberspace is just too fast for the birdlife and it is all a matter of time for everyone else to catch us up!
Jon Wren

Jon Wren