birding-aus

Silver Gulls

To: "Bird Chat Line" <>
Subject: Silver Gulls
From: "Mitchener/Christie" <>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 17:08:22 +0930
Banded stilts are not the only birds being adversely effected by silver gulls, but perhaps the seriousness of their plight can help us face up to the need for a management program.
Perhaps the Atlas project could be used to get comprehensive info on where silver gulls breed, and in what numbers.(perhaps this information is already available?)
Or a CoastCare grant (altho' a tentative approach from me to our local CoastCare co-ordinator some weeks ago suggested that such a project would not fit their guidelines).
I noted with interest that Ralph Hahnheuser, Animal Liberation, in condemning the proposed cull at Lake Eyre in May, seemed to give support to egg pricking.
I for one would be quite happy to help with a control program in my district.

Maureen