birding-aus

Atlas Results

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Atlas Results
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 16:38:30 +1000
g'Day All (again)

I  have reviewed Emu's sightings in my immediate area

I have not seen any (except a tame one) ....but they were present.

I have just had a look at the 1st  Atlas (which shows records) and some old Mount Isa Bird Lists and located the following---

1967/8 Sam Carruthers "Nomadic but always some birds in the area, particularly in the Nth & West of the area...."
1975    Bill Horton            "Rare... North and west of the lake"
1976    Helen Horton       "Emu's have been seen singly and in small groups though they are not depleted..."
1982    Dawn Magarry       Recorded at Mica Ck
1985    Dawn Magarry       Recorded at Mica Ck
1992    Peter Harris         "Rare"

That does seem to indicate a decline at any rate in the Mount Isa zone from rare to zilch.
Now my guess is that the proliferation of fences would have the greatest effect on their numbers ?
I must enquire of some of the Station people if they still see any and when.

But cats apparently do kill Emu chicks !
A student of nature and author Henry G Lamond in his 1966 book "The Etiquette of Battle" relates vividly how an Emu chicken was killed  by a big red tomcat which in turn was killed by the male Emu (who bring up the young.)
Henry Lamond was born at Riversleigh and later  progressed to a Station  Manager in the NW Qld/NT area and wrote many great nature books including "An Aviary on the Plains"  Look out for it in the 2nd hand bookshops.

But the 2nd Atlas 20 minute 2 hectare preferred method still must give us different results to the 1st Atlas

Regards,
Bob Forsyth
Mount Isa, NW Qld.