birding-aus

A wake-up call

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: A wake-up call
From: "Peter Waanders" <>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 11:09:17 +0930
Hi all,

I thought I'd share the following with you.
During the previous week, reading Wingspan, the Australian newspaper, watching the ABC news, and from other sources of information, I collected the following bits of information.
* Clearing controls in Qld stalled - land clearing continues.
* Bird numbers continue to drop in remnant vegetation.
* Japanese start public relations campaign justifying killing whales.
* Stronghold of Red-tailed Black Cockatoos in SE makes way for bluegum plantation.
* SA state government strapped for cash - no additional funding for the River Murray despite the rhetoric.
* SA state government confirmed it will consider mining in National Parks. A review of the formal status of National Parks to for this purpose is expected.

On the latter issue, my wife commented "surely there will be mass demonstrations when they start digging up National Parks?" I don't think too many people would care. As long as they can watch their football, have their meat pies, and drive around in their Holden cars, I don't see the people of Adelaide taking to the streets about anything. There was hardly a public outcry when budget cuts were delivered (again) to hospitals and education, something you'd expect to be closer to the majority of people than the environment.

Have a nice day.

Peter Waanders

The information in this e-mail may be confidential and/or legally
privileged.  Use or disclosure of the information by anyone other than the
intended recipient is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received
this e-mail in error, please advise by return e-mail.