birding-aus

weekend birding

To: "" <>
Subject: weekend birding
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 23:30:26 +1000
Hi all,

Just a short expose of this weekend's birding: Saturday---Gisborne/Organ Pipes National Park, Sunday---very briefly at Long Forest Flora Reserve,and later Organ Pipes.

Decided to take my motorbike out of the shed on Saturday arvo, and headed up north to Gisborne from Melbourne.Stopped off a dirt track near private property and had a wander around for twenty minutes or so in cool temperate eucalypt area.Apart from all the wrens,thornbills and the like,the highlight of my short interlude was a Red Browed Treecreeper.
Headed off back down the Calder to Organ Pipes,on the way stopping to observe Brown Falcon-(feathers blowing in the wind).At the National Park i was greeted  my millions of Superb Fairy Wrens,Red Browed Firetails and White Browed Scrubwrens many of which were very tame.Notables whilst there were:Little Eagle,Crimson Rosella,Yellow/Buff Rumped Thornbill,White Plumed Honeyeater,Silvereye,Grey Shrike Thrush and Spotted Pardalote.First timers for me and definite highlights were: Spiny Cheeked Honeyeaters,maleGolden Whistler on Saturday and male Rufous Whistler on Sunday.
On Sunday,a very brief stroll in Long Forest Reserve produced: Wedge tailed Eagle,Grey Fantail,Striated Thornbills and White Eared Honeyeater. Would have appreciated much more time there.Hope this is of interest.

Cheers,

Mark Kliene.