birding-aus

Carpenter Rocks, SA

To: "Bird Chat Line" <>
Subject: Carpenter Rocks, SA
From: "Mitchener/Christie" <>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 22:43:23 +0930
Having been away for a few weeks, decided to check out my favourite wader sites at this afternoon's high tide.

The tide was very high, and Pelican Point had only 5 pied oyster catchers  and one sooty.  No other birds at all, no crested terns, not even a single silver gull!!

I called in at several spots along Livingstones Bay and around to Blackfellows Caves then, on my way home, Bungalow Bay and Gerloff Bay.  At the end of the afternoon I had managed to accumulate 100 turnstones (2 with SA orange/yellow flags) and 40 red necked stints (3 with SA flags). No sign of the 4 bar tailed godwits that I had thought were overwintering here.

At the eastern end of Livingstones bay I was surprised to see a flock of 50 white faced herons.  Herons are common here, but I don't recall seeing quite so many before. What surprised me most was the number of singing honeyeaters in the more sheltered parts of Blackfellows Caves and Bungalow Bay.  Right down on the beach strand apparently feeding on the many small insects associated with the rotting sea weed.

Maureen