birding-aus

Blue-faced Honeyeaters

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Blue-faced Honeyeaters
From: "sonnenburg" <>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 18:40:17 +1000
About 2 weeks ago I was painting balustrading on our back deck when I heard some bird activity about 300m away.  I could hear Blue-faced's and Noisy Miners. There were quite a few birds flying around a large Euc.  I dragged out my trusty scope (which stays on the tripod in the loungeroom for such occasions) and was somewhat amazed to see 30+ Blue-faced Honeyeaters mobbing a Brown Gossie perched in the tree.  There were only about 10 Miners.  The Gossie flew any came fairly close by pursued by the noisy throng which by this time had picked up some grey Butcherbirds, Magpie larks and a couple of Torresian Crows.

I have seen up to a dozen B-f HE's together in the past but never this many.   This all happened at Wavell Heights in Brisbane.  We live in Nundah but the next street is Wavell.  I am intending to put some of my "garden birds" on birding -aus shortly.

Cheers
Roy Sonnenburg
Birding Services Brisbane