birding-aus

RFI FNQ Cicabirds, Red Gos, BBBQs

To: <>
Subject: RFI FNQ Cicabirds, Red Gos, BBBQs
From: "Jon and Fiona Hall" <>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 18:07:49 +1000
Phil, can't help much on the birds I am afraid (though I had good views of
Cicada Birds on the Daintree river trip run by Chris Dahlberg   )

You won't see Cuscus near Cairns - you have to get up the Cape into Iron
Range NP.

Lumholtz Tree Kangaroos are scattered around the Atherton Tablelands.
Mount Baldy is a good spot - take a (maybe the only) forestry track up the
hill and start looking as soon as the eucalypt forest becomes rainforest.
The Crater National Park is a good area (good for all the relic possums
too) - the track up to the car park from the road is very good for all sorts
of things and try walking alongside the highway to look for the
tree-kangaroos if you don't see them inside the park.  The Curtain Fig is
reputed to be another good spot.  Wait-a-while tours run out of Cairns can
probably find you a Tree Kangaroo if you take their excellent tablelands
tour (see http://www.waitawhile.com/. for more info).

If you can get up North to Cooktown then talk to Nick Marshall at Mungumby
lodge (at Helenvale 07 4060 3972) about trying to meet up with Charlie
Roberts to look for Bennet's Tree Kangaroos on Mount Poverty.

Cheers

Jon