birding-aus

fungi

To: Victoria Quinton <>
Subject: fungi
From: Peter Pfeiffer <>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 11:17:40 +0900
At 10:38 AM 6/13/00 +1000, you wrote:
>I was walking around the bush at Red Hill, Mornington Peninsula, over the
>weekend, and was struck by the wide variety of fungi,presumably toadstools,
>but in a variety of colours from purple to red; orange, brown and white.
>
>Is any variety of fungi used by birds or could it affect their food, - say
>for birds like scrubwrens that forage?
>

>Hi Victoria,
        I was down in Deep Creek ( near Delamere in S.A. )yesterday and was also
struck by the variety of fungi about. We saw Amanita about 25cm across as
well as Orange,yellow and purple coral fungi and we wondered whether the
substrate affected the colour of the fungi.
        We saw masses of white jelly fungus and about 20-30 other species of
fungi.
        I saw a white-browed scrubwren foraging through the leaf litter. Maybe
these guys eat some fungus.
Cheers,
        Peter.