birding-aus

Trip Report Willi Retreat (Macquarie Marshes)

Subject: Trip Report Willi Retreat (Macquarie Marshes)
From: allan benson <>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 19:22:59 -0700
Trip Report- Willi Retreat (Macquarie Marshes)

Friday 9th, Saturday 10th , Sunday 11th, Monday 12 th June.

Route:
Friday -Gosford-Denman
Saturday- Denman, Coolah, Coonabarabran, Coonamble, Quambone, Willi
Retreat.
Sunday - Willi Retreat, Warren, Gilgandra, Dunedoo, Gulgong
Monday- Gulgong, Ulan, Wollar, Denman, Broke, Gosford

We only birded seriously from Coonamble to Warren.

Highlights:
Coonamble-Quambone
Red-capped Robin, Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater, Grey Crowned Babbler.
Ground Cuckoo Shrike. This was my target bird for the trip and we saw
three in the last paddock on the right as we entered Quambone. No wonder
they are hard to see. I watched for about 15 minutes and they flew only
twice to land back on the fence. The rest of the time they were feeding
deep in the grass and couldn?t be seen.

Quambone - Willi Retreat (Macquarie Marshes)
There is water everywhere and the road is alive with birds. Nothing
unusual but large numbers of ibis, spoonbills(yellow-billed and royal),
coots, moorhens, swamphens and herons.
Hooded Robin, Zebra Finch, Black-faced Woodswallow, Red-winded Parrots,
Blue Bonnets, Mallee Ringnecks.
A new observatory tower has been built just west of Sandy Camp.

Caution- There is water over the road in several places. At Monkeygar
Creek, there is 100 metres of flowing water 20-30 cms deep. While 4WD is
not necessary, good clearance would be a good idea.

Willi Retreat
Jacky Winter, Grey Crowned Babbler, Restless Flycatcher, Owlet Nightjar,
Brown Treecreeper, Tawny Frogmouth.

Willi Retreat is a good base in this area. Run by Phil and Myra
Tollhurst this converted shearers quarters offer fully self contained
(and warm) accommodation with all linen supplied at $25 per night per
person. There are cheap alternatives in a bunk house or camping.

Willi Retreat -Warren
Ground Cuckoo Shrike (12 km North of Warren), Spotted Harrier.

Raptors
Wedge-tailed Eagle, Nankeen Kestrel, Black Shouldered Kite, Brown
Goshawk, Brown Falcon, Swamp Harrier, Spotted Harrier.

Although we saw fair numbers, I?ve seen much larger numbers previously
in this part of the state.

We did not see a rabbit(dead or alive) on the trip but saw dozens of
dead foxes.

Allan

--
Allan Benson
8 Sherston Close Niagara Park NSW Australia