birding-aus

Spotted harrier in Noosa shire

Subject: Spotted harrier in Noosa shire
From: "jon wren" <>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 03:57:22 PDT
Gooday Andrew and birding-ausers
Currently have a pair of Spotted Harrier nesting up near Greentop Road 20 08S 148 01E. This species would have to be the pick of the diurnal raptors especially in breeding plumage. On a 15 Km stretch of road from the Bruce Highway to Abbot Point Coal loading facility I have counted 17 Wedge-tailed Eagles. Last Wednesday I counted 12, while last Saturday I had to go out and pick up a WTE that had tangled with a vehicle. Sadly the bird was put down at the Bowen Vet as the fractured wing was too badly damaged. This road has a remarkable number of Wallabies killed on it hence the interest from these huge raptors. Just a reminder to those travellers, if possible please try and move any roadkills off the road and onto the verges as far away from traffic as possible, at least the birds will have a chance then.

Jon Wren

Saw my first Spotted harrier here at Cooran, Noosa shire, SEQ on World
Environment Day yesterday.  For what it's worth, I too have the
impression there are more raptors around than usual.  It's driving the
maggies and mickeys mad!
Andrew Thelander