birding-aus

Western Queensland May 2000

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Western Queensland May 2000
From: "Irene" <>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 08:32:48 +1000
Hi everyone
I've just returned from four wonderful weeks touring western Queensland with
Richard Jordan and Emu Tours.  Great birding and
good looking countryside following the floods earlier this year.  Over the next
few weeks, I will be posting a series of
emails covering the trip - here's a poem (c) to start off:

SEASONS, CYCLES, CONTRAST AND CHANGE
The seasons come and go each year
Spring, summer, autumn, winter - we humans have defined
Nature knows no names
But cycles and change are there
Length of day, cold and heat, sun and rain
It can even be a feeling in the air.

The moon and the sun follow their cycle
They rise, they retire - each tracing their path across the sky
Yet change is there:
The moon is waning, revealing the splendour of the vastness
The starts are there
They too trace their regular path as I watch with wonder.

Dawn reveals the magic of the day
Flowers of all colours, plants and seeds all manner of shapes.

And the birds:
They're on the water, they're in the sky
>From woodlands and grasslands to the barest earth
>From a single Gibberbird on the stony plain
To masses of the masters of flight above
Some silent, whilst others chorus to your ears
The spectrum of colour dances to your eyes

And the birds:
A season of water for them
A cycle of breeding for them
Contrast and change
Provide a spectacle for us to enjoy.

Irene Denton
Concord West, 12 km from Sydney city, NSW, Australia
33 50' 17" S  151 05' 25" E   (before Selective Availability was turned off -
will be doing a recalc soon!!)