birding-aus

Bird Survey At Newington NSW (near Homebush Bay)

To: <>
Subject: Bird Survey At Newington NSW (near Homebush Bay)
From: "Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 18:34:39 -0000
This very cold and crisp Sunday morning in Sydney, myself and Lorne Johnson performed the usual monthly survey at the Newington Wetlands site (between the Sydney Olympic Stadium and the Olympic Village), while marked and unmarked police cars were busily going around catching and booking speeding vehicles, disturbing our fine peaceful Sunday morning. Though nothing really rare was seen, the highlights that morning were hearing a Brown Quail, an over-wintering Australian Reed Warbler and seeing a Brown Goshawk chase a Black-shouldered Kite through a 2 metre high tunnel, the Black-shouldered Kite reappeared but we lost sight of the Brown Goshawk. Two weeks ago I witnessed anothe Brown Goshawk chase away a Black-shouldered Kite at the Windsor Turf Farms - amazing!!. This wetland site has a lot of potential to become a fairly descent bird site if carefully maintained.

Then it was off to Carlingford shops. First stop was the newsagency, where the latest Geo magazine featured an article on Regent Honyeaters up northen NSW (I forgot the town but it started with a B).

Then it was off to Woolies, where Lorne had to buy some groceries. Here we saw some cheese from Tasmania with Southcape on it. We saw some "unusual bird" on the cheese (can't see it matching any bird on any Australian field guide). Next time somebody goes to Woolies, Franklins etc, and sees this cheese, and if they are able to identify the bird, could they let myself and Lorne know what bird is featured on it, as we are very curious!!!

The final stop was the Pet Shop and there we saw a male Eclectus Parrot which both of us certainly would've wanted to tick.

Latter that morning, we had a listen to a few music CD's. Among many other great CD's ("No Doubt", "Deadstar" etc), Lorne played one by a band called EELS. The song was titled "I like Birds" (Eels is Californian folk-rock band and this single is from their great new album DAISIES OF THE GALAXY). We think it should become the new "Twitchers Anthem" (perhaps if Captain Carl has a CD player onboard the Sandra K, we could play it on the next July pelagic, while we are out looking for rarities!!!). I can't wait for this pelagic trip as we will be shouting "Go the Blues" for the Blue Petrels (in summer its "Go the All Black's for the Black Petrels"). Lorne also showed me a copy of the latest BBC magazine which is jammed packed with great bird pics.

Edwin