birding-aus

Re: splits and lumps

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Re: splits and lumps
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 10:24:08 +1000
G'day Lawrie,
Thanks for your input,
You wrote:-
> .... and not being from your area I find the name Kalkadoon Grasswren
> much more evocative of the country than either Hortons, Selwyn,
> Carpentarian or Eyrean Gw

I should have also added that the Selwyn ranges defines
much more accurately the area where the bird is known to exist.
The territory of the Kalkadoon tribe (I believe) extended
to Boulia at least, which is well Sth of the Selwyn
Ranges.
So by calling it the "Selwyn" does promote in my mind
a much clearer picture of the area where it is likely to be
found.

Re "Horton's"
A lot of visiting birdo's already call it Horton's. Why change ?

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that the bird list was in any
way complete. They were probably the only birds the
author (from Melbourne) saw when interviewing the 4
aged Kalkadoon's at their homes at Dajarra and Boulia
in 1967/8.

Another suggestion would be the Ballara Gw, after a
deserted town where it was first recorded by the Horton's.

There are other names that should be considered.

However, my main point that I hoped to make, was that at an appropriate time
Birds Australia will open a
moderated discussion and publish the results in Wingspan the names for the
"splits", as they did for the first "Christidis and Boles".
Then let the majority view prevail.

Regards
Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, Qld

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"