birding-aus

NT topend Easter birdlist

To: "Robert Inglis" <>
Subject: NT topend Easter birdlist
From: "Timothy Nye Dolby" <>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 10:03:22 +1000
For your information Robert. All the best, Tim.

> In the Nt topend Easter birdlist posted by Michael J
> Hunter on May 15 2000 reference was made to:
> Buff-sided Robin
> Paperbark Flycatcher

* Buff-sided Robin     Poecilodryas cerviniventris (Gould)
 1858 coastal n Australia: ne W Australia through n
N Territories to nw Queensland split from: Poecilodryas
superciliosa insert after: Poecilodryas superciliosa R.
Schodde & I.J. Mason, The Directory of Australian Birds:
Passerines, CSIRO Publishing, 1999

* Paperbark Flycatcher     Myiagra nana (Gould)   1870 sc
New Guinea: Merauke region; n Australia: nw W Australia to
n N Territories and sw Queensland (Normanton region) split
from: Myiagra inquieta insert after: Myiagra inquieta R.
Schodde & I.J. Mason, The Directory of Australian Birds:
Passerines, CSIRO Publishing, 1999

> Hello Birdos,
>
> In the Nt topend Easter birdlist posted by Michael J Hunter on May 15 2000
> reference was made to:
> Buff-sided Robin
> Paperbark Flycatcher.
>
> As neither of these names appear in my 1994 copy of 'The Taxonomy and Species
> of Birds of Australia and Its Territories'
> I am wondering what they really are.
>
> I am under the (false?) impression that the above mentioned document is the
> official list for Australia and therefore am wondering what list the two
> names men
tioned come from.

> I suspect that they come from the controversial publication 'The Directory of
> Australian Birds: Passerines' which has recently been released onto the
> market.
> I can't afford a copy to check.
>
> This publication apparently has advantages for twitchers but is the
> information in it accepted by the RAOU?
>
> Or are they new species for Australia and therefore subject to submission to
> the Birds Australia Rarities Committee before we can include them on our
> lists?
>
> If not, shouldn't we be sticking to the official list and recording these
> sightings as 'sub-species' using the officially accepted names?
>
> Or should we keep two sets of personal lists: the 'Birds Australia Lists' and
> the 'Directory of Australian Birds Lists'?
>
> Bob Inglis
> Woody Point, SEQld

Tim Dolby
Product Manager
RMIT Publishing - incorporating Informit
RMIT University
Phone: (03) 9341 3271 FAX: (03) 9349 4583
http://www.informit.com.au
http://www.rmitpublishing.com.au

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"