birding-aus

Not Ruddy Ducks

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Not Ruddy Ducks
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 12:04:37 +1000
An update on the recent duck disaster story from the USA:

".... we found out that the birds in question that drowned at the nuclear
reactor were Greater or Lesser Scaups.  The ducks were apparently diving off
shore around the intake structure trying to feed and were sucked into the
plant through the intake pipe.  There is a strong current as these plants
draw in around one billion gallons of water a day.  So the birds could not
fight the suction and were drowned en route into the plant.  Apparently a
similar event occurred at Nine Mile Point in 1994 when 31 ducks of
unidentified breed also drowned.  Feel free to forward this information to
your interested parties. We are looking at this not only as avoidable from a
financial point of view, but an inhumane treatment of wildlife."
Linda Gunter, in Washington DC, has asked me to forward any comments that
anyone in Australia chooses to make about this, as evidence of 'outrage from
overseas' about what seems to be an ongoing problem.
I'll be pleased to forward any postings or direct email comments on to
Linda.

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at http://www.abberton.org <http://www.abberton.org/>

Email:  <>
Ph: (+61) 7 4697 6111  Fax: (+61) 7 4697 6056