birding-aus

Die-back??

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Die-back??
From: Bob Sothman <>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 12:32:02 +0930
For the last few years I have been occasionally visiting a great patch
of scrub on private property near Devilbend Reservoir on the Mornington
Peninsula, South of Melbourne. It is a great spot for birding - a couple
of years ago I found more species there in 1 hour  than during the
previous 10 days in Tasmania.  However on my latest  visit over Easter,
I was surprised to see a significant proportion of the Gum trees,
especially the Manna Gums, dying from what looked like Die-back.  Can
any one please confirm that this is what the problem is and if so what
advice should be given to the land owner who had noticed the dying trees
and "thought it was due to drought".

Thanks,
Bob Sothman
Adelaide