birding-aus

Crows in our Palm tree

Subject: Crows in our Palm tree
From: Laurence and Leanne Knight <>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 15:33:30 +1000
Syd Curtis wrote:

> I write from Hawthorne, an inner eastern suburb of Brisbane, Queensland.
>
> In 1962 a flying-fox (fruit-bat) dropped a palm seed in the bottom of our
> garden.  It is now the tallest tree (c.15 m) in the immediate neighbourhood
> and a home away from home for a pair of crows, - to my considerable delight
> and the occasional early-morning annoyance of some neighbours  whom we have
> heard using  unparliamentary language in reference to them.   (Torresian
> Crows - Corvus orru.)
>
> The flying-fox's descendants visit at night when there are ripe palm fruits,
> and I wonder whether there is one indivdual that claims the tree as its'
> own.  If another flies near it is warned off in no uncertain terms.  But of
> course I can't be sure that it isn't just a matter of whichever individual
> occupies the tree first on the night.  (Very vocal, are flying-foxes.  There
> just might be something in the theory that they are more closely related to
> Primates than to Bats proper.)
>
> But the crows are my main delight.  What a wonderful variety of sounds they
> can produce with those rather plain rough voices.   They can't nest there of
> course, but when they don't have a nest to attend to, that's where they like
> to sit, occasionally 'talking' quietly, but mostly just enjoying each
> other's company and the idyllic life style we humans have provided for them
> with out discarded food scraps and all hunting banned.

Syd,

You are welcome to the hundred plus crows that roost round my side of Mt
Gravatt, who engage in a predawn cawrus most mornings [more of a problem
in summer when dawn is somewhat earlier in the peace].

The crows also have a predusk cawrus [which I observe visually from time
to time] - they circle round in a circus, cawing on the wing.

>From an audio perspective, I think I would prefer the ratio of crows to
currawongs reversed ...

Regards, Laurie.

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"