birding-aus

Toolangi State Forest

To: "" <>
Subject: Toolangi State Forest
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 21:30:52 +1000
Hi all,

Just came back from an overnight camp at the Murrandindi Scenic Reserve
in the Toolangi State Forest, about 90 klms northeast of Melbourne. A
new sighting for me was a Bassian Thrush foraging about near the
campsite, among others like Pied
Currawongs(everywhere),thornbills,scrubwrens,Eastern Yellow
Robins,Kookaburras,Sulphur Crested Cockys,Superb Fairy Wrens,very
friendly Grey Shrike-Thrushes,Lyrebirds etc. At night Sugar-Gliders were
heard, but what puzzled me most was a call that started around 9pm till
near midnight. A short burst of grating followed by a stridet
"kook-kook" which tended to accelerate for around 6+ series. Now i have
never that i can recall, heard a Nightjar let alone seen one, but from
what i could decipher from my bird guide, could have been a
White-Throated Nightjar?. I followed the calls which appeared to change
direction everytime, and actually heard one clearly at what seemed a
very close distance(1-2 metres) but could not spot anything, so after
about 20 minutes of searching i gave up. Would this observation be
possible, or could it have been a type of frog/froglet? any
theories?----- by the way, wonderful camping spot!.

Cheers,

Mark Kliene.

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"