birding-aus

Aerial Baiting with 1080

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>, "J & M Cooper" <>
Subject: Aerial Baiting with 1080
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 16:02:55 +1000
G'day all,

1080 is scary stuff.

Friends of mine had both of their dogs die a horrible death
from it when they let them out for a wee stop, halfway
between Cloncurry and Normanton.

It is a DPI requirement that land owners signpost the
boundaries of their properties and advise when 1080 has
been laid, however this road travels thru unfenced grazing
land and the sign could have been 25km back. Another
problem is that the small signs are often not seen when
placed at a cattle grid on a double laned road.

I have read somewhere that dogs have died from baits well
away from the sign posted 1080 properties and it has been
presumed that birds have dropped baits that they have
picked up some distance away. Could that be possible ?

I often see weather worn signs at gates & grids advising
that baits have been laid, but don't know for how long the
1080 retains its powers. How long does 1080 retain its
lethal powers ?

I  believe it is also used to get rid of pigs.

My useless dog usually accompanies me birding so at the
back of my mind there is always a worry that some isolated
baits dropped may be about which it would be stupid enough
to pick up.

Regards...Bob Forsyth.  Mount Isa,Qld