birding-aus

Aerial Baiting with 1080

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Aerial Baiting with 1080
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 11:06:27 +1000
A few more points (I've written at greater length to Maureen
Cooper):

1080 is also known as Sodium Monofluoroacetate or Fox-off

Use varies between Australian states.

Strict controls in Victoria (eg. baits for foxes must be buried
- which is a bit frustrating when trying to protect Hooded
Plovers etc.).  A major concern is, I guess, dangers to domestic
dogs (the most susceptible species). Placental mammals also very
vulnerable but marsupials possibly and birds less so.

Unfortunately there is nothing on its retention in the
environment on
http://www.nccnsw.org.au/member/tec/projects/tcye/tox/bytopic_index.html
but it "seems" to break down fairly rapidly and into relatively
harmless chemicals.  I wish I were a scientist who could assess
the impact of the extra fluorine in environments !

Widespread (?) use in Queensland including aerial baiting.  See
http://www.environment.gov.au/states/cyp_on_l/reports/lup/weedch3.html
This has a lot on its use and effectiveness and a reference to a
study where no non-target species were found killed
accidentally.

Several papers on the Australasian Wildlife Management Society
site:
http://aerg.canberra.edu.au/pub/aerg/awmsymp2.htm

Murdoch Uni. experimenting with GM bacteria to protect cattle
and sheep (ruminants) from plants containing fluoroacetate, eg.
Georgina Gidgee (Acacia georginae).
http://wwwscience.murdoch.edu.au/centres/rumen/biosafety.html

They also say (without giving references) "The control of feral
animals with Compound 1080 has allowed the recovery of
ecosystems and endangered species that might otherwise have been
lost entirely."

So (in the short-term) that's the nub: some damage to non-target
species versus a major impact on cats and foxes which do immense
damage in Australia to native wildlife. In the longer-term there
might be other impacts including increased tolerance, more
fluorine
in ecosystems etc...

Michael Norris

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"