birding-aus

Common Mynahs

Subject: Common Mynahs
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 08:33:39 +1000

Dear Punters,

This thread on Common Mynahs has got me curious about the ongoing espansion of
this species' range.  In Victoria, it seems clear to me that it is radiating out
from Melbourne along major highways.  For example, it was relatively rare and
localised in Bendigo (150 km north of Melbourne) when I was living there in
1992-94, but you would see them more or less continously along the two main
highways to Melbourne (the Calder, and the Northern/McIvor) to within about 25
km of Bendigo.  They were more abundant in towns and closer to Melbourne, and to
my mind (no data) much rarer on minor roads, and along the Melbourne-Bendigo
railway than at comparable latitudes along the main highways.  I still visit
Bendigo frequently enough to confidently state that they are more numerous and
widespread than they were in 1994, although still nowhere near as numerous as in
other towns closer to Melbourne, or in Melbourne itself.  They now appear to
heading north along the Northern/Midland Highway towards Echuca.

My sense is that a similar story prevails along the Goulburn Valley Highway
between Nagambie and Shepparton (100-150 km NNE of Melbourne).  In addition, in
the last few years they appear to have moved quite rapidly along the Hume
Highway from Seymour (100 km NE of Melbourne), to Wangaratta (250 km NE of
Melbourne) and even beyond (including at least 10 km along the Ovens Valley
Highway towards Bright).

Does anybody else have thoughts on the recent expansion of the Common Mynah in
Victoria and Australia?

Regards,

Paul Peake.

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"